Best Diet Tricks
Losing weight must be a common item in most people’s New Year’s resolutions so make that happen by following these easy, practical steps on how to lose that holiday weight and get your body ready for that swimsuit you’ve been dreaming on!
• Drink lots of water. Avoid sodas and fruit juices that is packed with lots of sugar.
• Opt for green tea instead of coffee. Studies show that green tea helps in your body’s fast metabolism.
• Go for a good cardio exercise like running, brisk walking, or Zumba to keep your heart pumping.
• Do not skip breakfast and do not starve yourself. Eating breakfast gives a base for your body for fast metabolism. If you skip a meal, your body goes on starvation mode and “hold” on more to fats rather than lose it.
• Try juicing. Green juices are popular now in the shops, but making your own is still the best. Invest in a good blender or juicer and start putting on some veggies and fruits in your diet.
• Don’t completely deprive yourself from desserts and sweets. Give yourself one day of the week to “reward” yourself for your hard work.
• Take note of your food portions and choose a small plate. Smaller plates can help in making your food look full, but your actual food intake will be less.
• Eat slowly and savor the taste of your food. According to studies, your brain takes approximately 20 minutes to recognize and send signals of fullness.
• Keep a food journal. By taking notes of everything you ate within the day, it helps you have a clear picture of your diet and assists you in determining the kind of foods that you should stick to or avoid.
• Avoid midnight snacks or eating before you sleep. Your metabolism slows down when you sleep so where do the calories go? In the fat storage of your body.
• Build some muscle. Muscles can burn calories even at your resting state.
• Don’t let your body feel hunger. Eat small, healthy snacks every three to four hours during the day.
• Pack your own lunch where you’ll know exactly the content of your food.
• Get enough sleep. According to Manuel Villacorta, Registered Dietician and author of Eating Free, “Get six to eight hours of sleep a night. Without it, the appetite hormone ghrelin increases which could result in weight gain. And schedule at least two three-minute breaks during the day to practice deep-breathing exercises. It will reduce the stress hormone cortisol, which builds fat around your mid-section.”
• When you eat, prioritize what you’ll eat first. Eat your veggies first before anything. It helps you feel full.
• Commend yourself with your progress. Do some shopping with your new adjusted size. It will make you feel good and motivate you even more to push yourself towards the goal.